Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Guest Blogger: Ande´ McDaniel

Joining the 80 days around the world team, which is really like 50 something days, for my 12 days around the world was wonderful. We definitely serve a loving, faithful, and big God. It was only 4 months ago that I prayed about a chance to go to Africa and now I've been blessed with the opportunity to serve with Natalie Rolfe at the Lulwanda Children's Home in Mbale, Uganda. Meaning "rock," Lulwanda Children's Home sits on top of a high rocky area and overlooks God's beautiful creation. Here, 90 children who have been fully or partially orphaned due to AIDS live and go to school. I saw the testimony to God's ability to provide when I saw that these kids each have a bed, uniforms, 3 big meals a day, school, computers, loving teachers and house moms, and all kinds of games and activities. The Lord has taken these children from dire situations to a place where they have the potential to become the future political and spiritual leaders of Uganda.
" But you are a chosen people...special people, that you may set forth the wonderful deeds and display the virtues and perfections of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light." 1 Peter 2:9



In the mornings we spent time performing manual labor while the kids were in school. Then in the afternoons we played games, blew LOTS of bubbles, sang with the kids, and just got the opportunity to see how sweet, happy, and content these children are. I was amazed and touched by the heart these children have for Jesus. Perhaps it is their daily dependence on Him that makes Him so close to their hearts and minds. It is my prayer for these kids, as well as American kids, and even myself that we all remember true and lasting happiness after hardship comes from a deep faith and hope in the Lord.
"For I will turn their mourning into joy and will comfort them and make them rejoice after their sorrow." Jeremiah 31:13
"And their is hope for your future, declares the Lord." Jeremiah 31:17

The country of Uganda itself possesses beautiful landscape and people. We lived at Pastor Morris' home and encountered numerous people who were serious in their relationship with the Lord. Whether it was Ja-Ja (meaning grandmother in the luganda language) who served us by tending to all of our house needs, or David who devoted himself to some 21 amazing meals, or the seminary guys who were asking the hard spiritual questions, these people displayed pure servant and dedicated hearts. I felt blessed to be a part of their culture for even a tiny while. And then one of the best days I had in Uganda was when Natalie, our Texas friend who is a long-term missionary/teacher (and only American) at the children's home, took us to Sissy Falls. We drove through a very rural village to get there and on the way children were running from their huts to wave at us. It was a blessing to see their excitement and smiles and then to smile and wave back at them. The Falls itself and the long, sweaty hike ALL the way to the top displayed God's majesty. It was absolutely beautiful and breathtaking up there.
"The Heaven's declare the glory of God, and the firmament shows and proclaims His handiwork." Psalm 19:1

I was told before I left the U.S. that the Spirit of God was moving across Africa. After being there and talking with people I believe that and feel truly blessed and unworthy to have been a part of God's great plan for that beautiful continent.
Peace and Love,
Ande'

2 comments:

Charlotte Craig said...

Ande, your journal is beautiful. I'm so proud of you.

Meme said...

I'm so glad you were able to go on this trip!! The pictures and the stories behind them are awesome ... thanks for sharing your memories and God winks with me. I know Doyle would be so proud of his pretty girl - your adventures and accomplishments are amazing! You give me such inspiration - thank you!!! Much love, Meme

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. - John Wooden, Coach

In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. - Proverbs 3:6 NKJV