We didn't go a day in Uganda without hearing that loving phrase for white person, "Mzungu," from at least one kid as we walked or drove by. In a country of about 2 million orphans, Uganda has the great need to taking care of the kids orphaned by AIDS or various other diseases. This last week we have had the honor of being a part of this effort by working with Natalie Rolfe and Luwanda Children's Home.
Luwanda Children's Home houses 90 orphans (half boys and half girls). Many of the kids have sad stories about being left by one or both parents in situations where they are not provided for or taken care of. Luwanda provides an incredible home to the kids, 3 meals a day, clothing, schooling, and most importantly has a focus on preaching Jesus Christ. The goal is for these kids to grow up and be leaders of Uganda, making a difference for Christ in their country.
I have loved every minute at the children's home. In the mornings while the kids are in school, we have done various projects like painting and sweeping off the basketball court (not as easy as it sounds :). Every afternoon we have been able to play with the kids for several hours. Ande' McDaniel, my good friend from college who just met us for the Uganda leg, brought a whole suitcase of games, bubbles, puzzles, stickers, and candy for the kids. My favorite has been watching the kids chase the bubbles, which they will do for about 20-30 minutes at a time. I amazes me how easily they find joy.
The part of this week that has stuck out to me the most is my bond with 2 little girls, Faith and Aidah. They have been at my side every afternoon. One day we spent over an hour reading books (thank goodness they ready to mean some because I was starting to lose my voice). Another day we played about 5 games of memory and 3 games of trouble.
What amazes me most about these girls is their faith in the Lord. They would sing me their favorite worship songs and write me notes. Here is one (copied exactly as written) from Aidah:
Dear Sarah
I Love you so much
I pray for you everyday
God bless you and take good care of you from Aidah to Sarah
My name is Aidah thank you for coming to Luwanda
God loves you so much This picture a for you
today is a good day
thanks to come here
God is mercyfull God is Loveness God is kindness
God is a Blessing to us all of the people on the wold
What a blessing these girls were to me!
No only have I seen God's love and joy in the children, but have learned so much through watching Natalie in her element. She has such a passion for teaching and loving the kids that Christ shines through her daily. Not only was I amazed by her following of God's calling on her life, but also the local Ugandan people who were so passionate about sharing the gospel with their own people. These people lived to further the kingdom of God!
So basically I loved Uganda! Right now I am typing this up in the Dubai airport as we are on our way to Brazil. We have a 14 hour flight in front of us, night in the airport, 3 hour flight to Ellen, and then good 6 hour drive to where we are staying. It's going to be a long trip :). Sorry I am not able to post pictures here and we also couldn't do it in Uganda because of slow connection, but I promise to get some up soon! Also be on the look out for a guest blog from Ande' :). Thanks so much for your support and prayers! See ya in Brazil!
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think that "God is Loveness" might be my new favorite phrase. Loveness...what a great word for HIM!
Miss you...love the blog!
Cheryl
Post a Comment